Archive for July, 2009

Photos photos photos

Posted in Fitting out and maintenance, Fun on July 25, 2009 by maidofmettle

For those of you who rightly pointed out that the pictures coming on Monday never came…(thanks Dad!) here is an update and a few pictures of things going on over the last week or so.

There has been lots more fitting of interior bits into the boat and Pete’s vegetable drawer system is almost ready.

Pete and his vegetable friends

Pete and his vegetable friends

The hatch Chris made has had a couple of hundred coats of varnish (ok, about 6 or 7) and is looking really nice ready to be fitted at some point.

"The Hatch"

"The Hatch"

The varnished floor and handy seat at the front of the boat was finally put into place

Varnished floor panels at front of boat

Varnished floor panels at front of boat

Alongside that, the steps were transformed from this…

Steps before

Steps before

To…

Shiny "new" steps

Shiny "new" steps

using a combination of paint, non-slip matting and contact adhesive.

The bow roller was fitted this week,

Chris and his bow roller

Chris and his bow roller

as well as waterproofing for the anchor lockers;

inside the anchor locker

inside the anchor locker

and fitting their lids and drainage holes.

almost complete anchor lockers

almost complete anchor lockers

So, although the photos make it seem like there is loads more to do we really are getting there and here is a picture of the finished chart table mentioned in the last post.

Chart table complete!

Chart table complete!

We have also started the toe rails to stop anyone falling off the boat,

Toe rails

Toe rails

plumbing, electrical wiring and boxes for electrical bits/batteries.

In other news:

We are hoping to have a BBQ on a beach (possibly near Chichester harbour) as a celebration of launching.  Dates TBC  but will be on either 15/16th or 22/23rd AugustIt will be an informal “bring a BBQ and any food/drinks you wantkind of event…all welcome!!!

We now also have an inflatable kayak 🙂 liferaft and waterproofs, and got a chance to try all but the liferaft (which hopefully we never will)

"It's Henri Lloyd darling"

"It's Henri Lloyd darling"

kayaking

kayaking

synchronised

synchronised

kite power!!

kite power!!

Still getting there…slowly

Posted in Fitting out and maintenance on July 17, 2009 by maidofmettle

Quite a lot has happened in the last couple of weeks.  Some things are being left until Monday to put into the boat so the long awaited “exciting boat pictures” will have to wait until then.

I’ve done even more varnishing of the floor-boards, made a step support to stop the steps sliding, cut out a couple of panels for the back of the cockpit and taken apart and glued, sanded, painted and have nearly finished putting anti-slip matting on them.  The glue used for this was contact adhesive, which it is worth saying sticks rather too well so it is impossible to remove anything once you have put it down.  I suppose this is good so long as you manage to put them in the right place to start with!

Pete continued to put bits of interior back together inside the boat and made lots of panelling for his bunk area at the back of the boat (quarter-berth)

Meanwhile, Chris has made a lovely hatch top and sides which are beautifully varnished and ready to install soon.  He has cut some more windows for the doghouse (the metal bit nearest the hatch) and has been experimenting with the solar panels and some electrical bits and bobs.

It has rained a lot recently so we had the chance to try out our new waterproofs for those of you (Debbie!) who were concerned about our attire on this trip, proof that we will be nice and warm when the weather is bad.

Getting there…

Posted in Fitting out and maintenance on July 5, 2009 by maidofmettle

Chris mostly completed the sliding hatch this week.  The wooden boards will be replaced with clear (possibly frosted) Lexan which we tested with hammers and an axe last week.  The Lexan was a clear winner, taking quite some force to break it.     

Chris and the hatch

Chris and the hatch

The top of the hatch required glueing so a state of the art, custom-made pressing system was employed for the job…

pressing system

pressing system

The floor has been varnished now and will be put in place next week. 

varnished floor panels

varnished floor panels

Parts of the galley and chart table were put back into position and more things were sealed in place.  We are slowly seeing the interior coming back together again and hopefully it will be looking tidier and more finished very soon. 

the galley going back in

the galley going back in

There is a now a hinged step at the top of the main steps that can be used as a seat when fixed in the up position (with velcro eventually). 

hinged step

hinged step

Thinking that the painting was over…some more came along.  This time, the tank lids and floor supports needed primer and top-coat so are now looking finished and need re-fitting next week. 
more painting

more painting