In, out, in, out, just do the scanning and cut it out!

I was rather surprised to be told that I needed to go into hospital on the Tuesday evening to be ready for the operation – inconvenient, but it seemed reassuring that I’d have a bed and be very definitely in the system.

I was rather surprised to find that I got my own room

And a man with a shaver to prepare for the operation..

Hmm, this is strange. Should I have asked him to do the other one to match?

answer with hindsight – probably best not, rasps horribly when wearing trousers..

I hadn’t eaten before I got to the hospital as I hadn’t been told when I needed to stop – I was presuming I could get some there if need be. However, the canteen had looked ominously shut as I entered the ground floor, so being told I could eat and drink until midnight was more of a frustration than a relief.

Until a little while later, when a lady with a food trolley knocked on my door. I bet no-one has ever looked so excited to get Spanish hospital food. She must think English cuisine is really terrible..

This was pretty good – some vegetable soup and bread to go with it, and a chunky omelette with some vegetables. I ate it quite quickly though as my next mission was to find somewhere to watch the Arsenal game – as luck would have it the TV in my room was broken.

I eventually found a common room type thing upstairs to see the second half – a decent game that would probably have got even better towards the end if not for a very strange sending-off. Shame about the result.

I didn’t sleep that well – but not from worrying, I think just an unfamiliar bed and background noise. In fact generally not knowing what was going to happen next made for quite an adventure. I certainly didn’t expect the big plot twist to come, even though there was some nice foreshadowing.

A few days ago I’d got a bit confused about when the injection of the tracer to find the right lymph node to remove for examination was happening. Those with good memories will recall that in fact they’d just taken blood out for a blood test, and the other stuff was to be done on the day of the operation.

This week, it would appear that the hospital staff got confused. To paraphrase the charming but unfortunate waiter who served us in a restaurant on Porto Santo, two bad things happened…

One, they seemed to wheel me down to the operating theatre before someone presumably pointed out that they still hadn’t done the tracing and so didn’t know which lymph node they should be removing. So I went all the way back up to my room again, and sat around a bit more.

And two, they couldn’t actually do the lymph node tracing that day, so they discharged me again, hopefully to have the operation on Friday. That won’t be too bad if it happens, but I really don’t want to be waiting over another weekend.

Still, after that it turned into a very good day. There was a bit of rushing around the marina to make sure no-one went to visit me in hospital later that afternoon, which led to some very nice bonuses to not being in hospital.

As I was rowing along the far side of the marina I almost collided with an anchor chain stretching very unusually far out into the water. It wasn’t hard to recognise the boat it was mooring, and the name is printed big enough the photo doesn’t really need a caption.

We’d first met Elida in Cartagena last February while making our way out of the Mediterranean, and enjoyed a very nice few days with them, and especially Caroline’s birthday party (

We had seen the boat again in Gibraltar on their way back to Sweden, but they only stopped for fuel and we didn’t get to meet them. They were only in the marina here for a few hours again, so I was extremely happy to be able to meet them. And another surprising coincidence – our friend Tindra, who first introduced us to the rest of the ship’s crew in Cartagena, was aboard, but flying back to Sweden a few hours later.

I helped Tindra and Natha (another friend who was on Elida before) with cooking – it’s quite a task making lunch for at least 20 people! Once again their food was delicious.

After that I had to leap in the dinghy to go and practise a little harmonica before the main music session on ‘Pax Nostrum’ later on. Again it was a very good evening, though with it having been a very long day I made it home at a relatively sensible hour. I played harmonica on a few songs – I’m slowly getting the hang of ‘Dirty Old Town’, though ‘Sloop John B’ remains very very tricky.

Alli and Dave

Derrick, Hilary and Sarah

I am definitely struggling to stay ahead of breaking news. I have just got a phone call to say that I am going back in to the hospital this evening..

But before that, I wanted to make it easier to get on and off Maid – climbing over the bow isn’t easy, and climbing over the stern means a long gangplank which can be a bit tricky. I’ll be staying with Dave and Taryna on their boat for a few days after the operation, but obviously it will be good to be able to get on and off my boat as easily as possible.

Derrick and Alli left to have their boat loaded onto a cargo ship bound for Genoa this morning, and their berth looked ideal.

Green Flash departing – hopefully we’ll meet again in England this autumn

I managed to persuade the marina staff to let me move into it – normally for bigger boats but the marina is relatively empty now. I’ll be able to climb on and off the side much more easily, and there’s the added bonus that most of the people I know here are all on this pontoon.

Maid in her new berth, complete with side-ramp for easy access

So, time to go back to the hospital again.

4 Responses to “In, out, in, out, just do the scanning and cut it out!”

  1. Caroline Says:

    What a faff! I hope everything goes fine/has now gone fine! Incidentally, Rasping? That’s never happened to me….are you sure he knew what he was doing?

    • maidofmettle Says:

      Well, more of it has gone at least – next post πŸ™‚
      Not really, no, he didn’t do everything he needed to..
      Really? Well, if any other men reading this have shaved their legs, feel free to chime in…

  2. Caroline Says:

    P.S Really glad you saw Elida people again! See, God does work in mysterious ways πŸ™‚

    • maidofmettle Says:

      Though we do have a partial answer to one of our hypothetical questions – it took a fortnight after diagnosis for the thought “some people might turn to God at a time like this” to occur to me.
      It did very much improve that afternoon though πŸ™‚

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: